Ayurveda focuses very much on daily regimen. With a healthful practice on a day-to-day we can avoid problems in the long run. By being more mindful as we eat, move, think, and clean ourselves we create a deep respect for the inside and outside of our bodies. Routine helps us establish balance in ones constitution. Here I have listed some Ayurvedic practices that I do almost everyday to feel great and glow from the inside and out.
1. Waking with the rising sun. Our bodies are ment to be aligned with the schedule of the universe. The reason the sun comes out is so we can have energy to see and do beautiful things with the gift of light! You can even do a few Sun-Salutations to thank the world and send out healing energy to those in need.
2. Tongue Scraping. Over night and throughout the day we build up bacteria and toxins on our tongue. If we brush the tongue we just move all the bacteria around, we don’t actually rid it. It is good to scrape the tongue in the morning before eating to keep it healthy and improve digestion! You can buy a tongue scraper at any health food store or here.
3. Warm Lemon and Ginger water. To awaken and cleanse the digestive system it is best to drink this to start the morning off right and throughout the day if possible!
4. Meditation. Take 20-30 minutes to sit still in a sacred place in your home to get your mind right. Meditation can help break habits and achieve emotional balance.
5. Breakfast. Try and eat your breakfast within an hour of rising (unless you practice exercise beforehand). Eat your breakfast in a calm environment. Remember to pay attention to each bite and imagine how healthful it is for your body. Try to make breakfast warming, so it doesn’t shock your digestive system. I like to make oatmeal, or a Coconut Quinoa Breakfast Bowl and use spices like cinnamon, cardamom and pepper. I use a blend of chai spices, a little ghee, free-range organic egg whites and a little honey. Other options are; stewed fruit medley of apples, figs and pears, or a kitchari which is a mixture of veggies, beans, and whole grains.
6. Breathing. Focusing on your breathing is called Pranayama. A technique that is very beneficial is called alternate nostril breathing. Taking a few minutes everyday to focus on your breathing is a great way to calm the nervous system and relieve tension.
7. Sesame Oil massage. Every night before bed give yourself a little love. Massaging your feet with Sesame Oil is awesome! It releases skin impurities and calms you down, getting you ready for a wonderful slumber.
8. Journal. Write in your journal before bed, anything that comes to mind. Putting things on paper is way of letting go and releasing your thoughts out into the world.
9. Make time to be outside. Nature helps heal our body and mind. Take a little time each day tuning into nature, so you can feel the pure joy that the universe has to give!
10. Do something nice for someone or something. Life is busy, sometimes its hard to fit everything in, let alone yourself! Make it a point to show someone some love, maybe just leaving a nice note for your room-mate or respecting the environment by recycling. It’s a karmic world. So give back and love will come flowing to you.