Don’t waste your money on $5 dollar rosewater when you can make it for free! This rosewater recipe is so easy you won’t believe it! Summer is a great time to use rosewater…I may even be the little rosewater spray fairy…let’s just say I LOVE spritzing it all day! Rose is a cooling flower that eases the Pitta dosha, or in moderation it is tridoshic. Rose helps a fiery pitta in times of anger, excessive heat, diarrhea, acne or competitiveness.
Rose reduces wrinkles, improves complexion, and slows down the aging process.
Directions: Place 2 handfuls of rose petals in 8 cups of cold water and let sit so the oils of the petals can release into the water for at least 2 hours. Pour in spray bottle or whichever container suits you.
Things to do with rosewater:
- Spray it on your face and your friends/families faces to uplift and cool your soul! Spray it on your yoga students while they are in savasana!:)
- Soothe burning eyes by pouring rose water on cotton balls and pressing on eyelids.
- Pour rosewater into your bathtub to unwind from the day.
- Use rosewater in recipes like; drinks, desserts and even chutneys!
More reasons to spray rosewater:
- Relieves sunburns or rashes
- Relieves inflammation
- Tones digestive tract
- Cools criticism and anger
- Cleanser and tonifier for skin and body
- It makes your heart happy and romantic:)
- Promotes restful sleep
Lavender has anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, hormonal balancing, carminative, sedative, analgesic, and antispasmodic properties.
Directions: Steep dried lavender flowers in hot water for 5-10 minutes. Then add 5-10 drops of lavender oil. Let cool and put in spray bottle or whichever container suits you.
Things to do with lavender water:
- Spray around your house or working area to purify the air by protecting against airborne pathogens and pollutants.
- Spray on your face and body to enhance ojas, pranic energy and support the respiratory tract.
- Rub some water underneath the nose before you eat to center yourself and be mindful while eating so you don’t ravenously consume.
- Spray on your face before meditation or around your yoga mat to bring clarity.
More reasons to use lavender water:
- Aids in sleep and relaxation
- Natural antiseptic for cuts, burns or acne
- Brings vata downwards
- Restores hair growth
- Great for cooking baked goods, drinks or other dishes
- Diuretic effect, helps kaphas lose water weight
Hope you can make some of these! They are really great gifts as well. Who wouldn’t want a little rose or lavender spray to chill out the day?
On a side note, I have successfully completed July. It was jam packed with my cooking series, Chefing a retreat in big bear, and a weekend of studying pulse and marma points at the San Diego College of Ayurveda.
August is for relaxing and cleansing! I will be partaking in an Ayurvedic Kapha Cleanse. It entails surfing, running, kundalini yoga and eliminating all earthy, fatty and sugary foods out of my diet. I’ll be updating you throughout and hopefully inspiring you to live a more Ayurvedic lifestyle! Let us spread this vast science.
I also have an office now in Bankers Hill, San Diego, and I am available for Ayurvedic consultations. Please book on my site or contact me for questions!
On an ending note… MAKE SURE YOU DANCE in the kitchen today. It’s one of the tricks to make delightful food:)